• “I trust you”: Trust is a vital ingredient for every relationship, and so is the feeling that your partner sees you as a person of integrity.
Let them know that you feel secure placing your trust in them and you will encourage them to work hard in maintaining that trust.
• “I miss you”: Whether you are in a long-distance relationship, away from one another for a few days, or just haven’t had as much time to talk recently, these three little words can serve as a powerful reminder to your partner that you value their presence in your life.
• “I’m sorry”: These two little words have the power to keep your relationship going, even in tough times.
If you want to be happy with your partner, you’d be wise to remember that sometimes it’s more important to be content than it is to have the last word.
Small fights can erode a strong partnership, so learn what’s worth fighting about and what you can let go.
• “I respect you”: Let your partner know that you value them as a person, not just for their looks, charm, job, or other superficial markers.
When they make a particularly hard decision, achieve a goal, or comment intelligently on a complex subject, tell them how much respect you have for their character and intellect.
• “You look great”: Even if your partner doesn’t seem especially concerned with their appearance or always making sure they are wearing the perfect outfit, they will still love to hear that you find them attractive.
Their self-esteem will improve every time you tell them how hot they look and how proud you are to be seen with them.
• “I’m so grateful to have you in my life”: What does your partner bring you? Care, affection, friendship, advice, good times?
If you are in a healthy relationship, they will supply all of the above and more besides! Let them know how much gratitude you feel towards them.
• “I’ll always support you”: As a human being, your partner will always be up against some kind of challenge, and will look to you for support.
Reassure them that you are always going to be there for them when life gets tough and they will feel inspired to chase their dreams, knowing that you are by their side.
• “I appreciate you”: We all like to feel valued for who we are as people, as well as what we can bring to the world and our relationships.
Telling your partner that you appreciate them validates their efforts and encourages them to keep investing in your relationship.
• “Let’s go to…”: Relationships often end because one or both parties feel as though the excitement has gone. Once you are past the honeymoon stage, keep fuelling the fire by suggesting new places to go and new activities to try.
This sends a clear signal to your partner that you value them and want them to stick around.
• “I love you”: Actions may speak louder than words when it comes to showing care and affection, but the words also count for plenty.
Whether you’ve been together a few months or several decades, your partner will always appreciate being told how much you adore them.
Hearing words of love from a partner can make a bad day much easier.