Ghana’s courts will be closed to any form of litigation from tomorrow following the announcement of a nationwide strike by the Judicial Service Staff Association of Ghana.
The president of the association, Alex Nartey, made the announcement today after a meeting with the Labour Ministry failed to reach an agreement.
The judicial service staff have been clamouring for the payment of their allowances which they say have been in arrears from last year.
Joy News’ Matilda Wemegah who was monitoring events reported Mr Nartey as saying the strike takes “immediate effect.”
As a result, all workers within the Judicial Service are not to report to work, except the security men who would have the responsibility to guard the premises of the courts.
This means there will be no court clerks, registrars, and other key judicial service workers who help judges dispense justice and adjudicate cases. Alex Nartey said the workers will remain at home until their monies reflect in their accounts.
According to him, they met with the Labour Ministry early this month but nothing conclusive was arrived at, except a promise of another meeting to resolve their grievances.
He regretted that after the second meeting with the Labour Ministry, Tuesday, there was still nothing to be happy about hence the decision to go on strike.
According to him, the Ministry could not give them a firm date as to when their allowances will be paid.
They are owed in excess of 60 million cedis in arrears, Wemegah indicated.
The Association’s President said they have been demanding for the payment of the arrears for several months now but government has been adamant.
They have been left with no choice but to announce a strike.